The age-old mystery of the Death Valley sailing stones has finally been solved, thanks to science.
So who are the Koch Brothers anyways?
- They have an enormous political influence: Associated Press said they are “shaping politics” this year, and three GOP candidates credited them for their success.
- They are Big Oil barons, who made their fortune on oil refining and continue to get the bulk of their wealth from the fossil fuel industry.
- They spend far more than any “liberal equivalents,” and they spend in line with their financial interests.
- They use shady operations and "dark money" to fund their interests.
- They pretend to advocate economic liberty, but they attack renewables exclusively while defending fossil fuels.
- They claim to have a good environmental track record but their company is responsible for hundreds of oil spills, paid hundreds of millions in fines, and even caused deaths.
- They push an extreme agenda.
Buried deep beneath a coal mine in Wuda, China, scientists have just unearthed a fantastical preserved forest- that is almost 300 million years old! The ancient giant forest in Inner Mongolia was preserved by volcanic ash, much like Pompeii.
Remember this invention? 19 year-old student proposed this design to clean up plastics in the oceans. The idea was picked up by TED, and green blogs exploded with glee.
I criticized the project as ineffective buffoonery and likely illegal. And several others also panned the invention as foolish and naive. Well, now the student is back with a revised version of the plastic’s clean up machine. He’s partnered with some serious engineers and PR and he formed a new company, “The Ocean Cleanup.” Video here.
A science journalist in Germany, Sarah Zierul, interviewed me and a few other experts who also criticized the machine. Sarah’s article really got to the heart of the story and you can see researched for several months to get to the facts. She re-tells the story of the young inventor, and describes the original machine and its problems, as well as the new machine and the engineering behind it. She also interviews several critics, noting how their complaints have evolved into support.
Excellent science reporting!
What they won’t show you on CNN tonight: Ferguson residents line a parade of roses down W Florissant, leading to where Mike Brown was taken from this world. #staywoke #powerful #insolidarity
Tickling Ears May Aid Heart
Stimulating nerves in your ear could improve the health of your heart, researchers have discovered.
A team at the Univ. of Leeds used a standard TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) machine like those designed to relieve labor pains to apply electrical pulses to the tragus, the small raised flap at the front of the ear immediately in front of the ear canal.
Read more: http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/2014/08/tickling-ears-may-aid-heart
many of the things wrong with the world can be summed up in this comment
how do people still find this joke funny?
Sandwich jokes are a product of men feeling intimidated by women who are smarter, stronger, or more successful than they are.
Not entirely applicable but to some extent Lewis’s Law come into effect here. “[T]he comments on any article about feminism justify feminism.” Helen Lewis (@helenlewis)
Researchers may have found a way to make efficient, low-cost solar paint, which would be an industry breakthrough.
Seismologists are worried this volcano is about to blow, which could create major travel problems.
The report claims the eruption could strand 10 million travelers.